12:43:00
A+ A-

#InDepth Interview with Z8phyR about his release Jewel on Soluna Music


Tranquility is found nestled in the white sands of the Balearic Islands. Between layers of sand, lies an invaluable treasure, known as the jewel of Balearia. It is not, however, discoverable with a map and shovel; it is realized within the soul. Z8phyR's music so thoroughly embodies the spirit of summer that it will melt the coldest of winters. 

Original Mix
Experience beach vibes in this Balearic ambiance. A lush blend of ethereal pads, congenial guitar notes and bells, hypnotic grooves, and seductive bass lines beckons you. 



Lumidelic Remix
The dreamy progressions of this rendition seem as if interwoven in the Balearic sunsets. Provocative chords, emotive melodies, and heart-throbbing bass lines create a vibrant soundscape along white sandy shores.



Solarbeam Remix
Enter the realms of the stars as you transcend from the beaches of Menorca in this translation with Glenn Morrison appeal. Captivating melodies, vibrant bass lines, delayed effects, and celestial atmosphere will leave you mesmerized. 



Tom Lue Remix
Music sings the truth from the heart of a composer. And in this remix, seraphic emotions genuinely reflect in the luminous waters of the Balearic beachscapes. Empyrean progressions and chords and subtle kicks define the tone for this compelling chill out version.



It's big pleasure to have an interview with Z8phyR that you can read right here, enjoy and thanks to Jerry at Soluna for arranging it.

Dimitri: When did you start your involvement with electronic dance music and which music style you are more affiliated with and why?

Z8phyR: I officially started my involvement into the electronic music scene near the end of 2015. My "main" style of music is basically a form of melodic progressive house music. Before that, I used to make hip hop beats and was quite a fan of chopping up old school samples.

Dimitri: Did you had the opportunity to attend any kind of music production course or are u completely self taught? Do you consider that is essential for any artist to complete any production course?

Z8phyR: I wish haha. My journey has been mainly trial and error, and some deep listening to some of these fantastic artist.



Dimitri: In which label was your first ever release and how did you manage to attract the attention of the label?

Z8phyR: Midnight Coast, they noticed me when a DJ picked up one of my songs for free on soundcloud and had it in a mix.

Dimitri: Can you choose for us your Top 5 tracks that you have produced and you consider them as being highly important for the progress of your career indifferent if they were commercially successful.

Z8phyR:
5.  Blossom



4. Sailing By



3. Lily's Truth



2. Cithara



1. Jewel



Blossom was my very first submission to the label and was such an exciting track to make my entrance into the scene. Honestly it's difficult to narrow it down to my "Top" 5, but these are some of my favorites.

My upmost favorite would be "Jewel" for many reasons.

Dimitri: Let's focus on Jewel that is out now. Please tell us from where did you got the inspiration for the track?

Z8phyR: Jewel is my upcoming release on Soluna Music and is out now.

It started with me playing around with my ukelele creating different sounds. I recorded a few different takes and literally built the whole track around those takes. I spent alot of time figuring out how to mix/compress/eq those in to sound beautiful and spacey.

Dimitri: How long it took you to produce it and was an easy or difficult process?If you have faced any difficulties please tell us about them and how did you resolved them?

Z8phyR: This track was actually a more difficult track than others, because I'm relatively naive to mixing in and equing recorded sounds to sound melded with the rest of the sounds. Also - learning how important compression is to keeping the dynamics in tact was a huge factor in this track.



Dimitri: Which was the biggest challenge that you faced during the production of this superb track?

Z8phyR: Just finding the time to call it done or completed. My biggest challenge of every track. I absolutely enjoy the "little" mix decision challenges that present itself as you are fleshing out your concept in a track. This was no different in that regard. I love to figure things out :)

Dimitri: Can you describe to us the steps that you went through the production of this track and of any other track?

Z8phyR: I started with recording a few takes with my ukelele. (About 4-5 takes). Then I chopped them into pieces, added my necessary compression, reverb, delay and eq to the samples. After that - I approached the melodic structure to be built around one of the motifs of my recorded samples. Once I figure out how I want the chords to go - the rest will pretty much finish itself, I just try to be present and be humble to whatever is necessary to be added to the track.

Dimitri: When the track finished did the label accepted it as it was produced or did the label recommend you to do some changes or fix certain things?

Z8phyR: Hm... I don't remember, Jerry might have suggested me to add vocals to this one. Most of the time, labels are pretty happy with my tunes, but I'm always very open and super willing to make changes or revisions if they so desire.



Dimitri: Is this track an original composition or is it based on a template from another track produced from you or another producer?

Z8phyR: Original composition. I always start with a "default" mixing template I built myself in my DAW. 

Maybe I should try using a template from another track produced.. I don't think I've ever done that before lol.

Dimitri: Is the quality of Jewel higher than your previous one? If yes in what ways this track sounds better than your previous one?

Z8phyR: Definitely, the natural sounds of the ukele just brings me immense joy and happiness with the fusion of the electronic elements of chords/pads/basslines



Dimitri: Do you have any friends or relatives that you send them the track before sending it to a label?

Z8phyR: No not really, I usually will let whomever my intended target is listen to a little snippet or preview, but that's usually it.

Dimitri: Please describe to us the studio that you have produced the track? What is your favourite hardware and software set up? Do you have in mind any new gear that you wish to get in order to raise the quality of your production?

Z8phyR: I use FL Studio (latest version) JBL305 monitors, a $50 ukelele, a nektar 49key midi controller. A whole lot of "back-to-the-drawing-board", patience, and some tea.

I'd love to build a studio dedicated solely for music production (and recording)



Dimitri: Do you master the track yourself or the mastering is task for the record label? Do you understand mastering as being essential?

Z8phyR: I will let the label master the track unless I'm asked to do it myself. Mastering isn't just essential, it's the final piece of the puzzle. It really can accentuate a beautiful song. It's absolutely necessary indeed.

Dimitri: There is a growing trend of vinyl coming back for good. Would you like to see this track released on vinyl or any other of your future tracks? Do you prefer digital files or vinyl?

Z8phyR: Ooh man I'd love to get some of my tracks on vinyl - it would be amazing to listen to. I prefer digital simply because of ease, but I'd love to explore more with vinyl.
I'll definitely try some vinyl releases in the future :)

Dimitri: Jewel includes 3 awesome remixes. Can you provide us your thoughts about them? 

Z8phyR: It includes three fantastic remixes by Lumidelic, Solarbeam, and Tom Lue. I absolutely love these remixes. Lumidelic's groovy bounce he added to the tune, makes it where i can't stop dancing - so amazed.

Solarbeam adds a dreamy quality that puts me in a really ethereal place, he brought out the atmosphere of a true melo prog tune.

Tom Lue brings such a positive energy and emotion to the track, I just get the feeling everything will be allright listening to his rendition.

All-in-all - these artist are absolutely amazing at what they do and it is indeed such an honor to have them remix my track. I'm not very good with words here, but I couldn't be happier to have them alongside this release with me :)

Dimitri: Do you have any future releases planned and when will be released?

Z8phyR: Ooh yea I do. Should be an album in the works here.. Keep your eyes tuned into the social media ;)



Dimitri: Are you professional DJ as well? 

Z8phyR:I'm not really much of a DJ - just mainly for fun

Dimitri: Do you produce a radio show/podcast as well? Please tell us here all the details about it. If you don't have one please tell us why you don't think is important for your career.

Z8phyR: Not at the moment, but that will change in the near future for sure. I'm already working on some things in that aspect, but taking my time here. I definitely understand and respect the fact that having some kind of broadcast or showing really helps yourself as an artist, but more importantly, help others showcase their work and bring them attention and exposure. I absolutely love that idea :)

Dimitri: Best piece of advice you got in relation to your career so far and best tip you learnt recently to make your tracks better.

Z8phyR: Best piece of advice was "Make a song a week, no matter what".



Dimitri: Can you provide us here your tips or more elaborated advice for any new artists who may read this interview and wish to get involved with the electronic music industry.

Z8phyR: I'd definitely suggest to any new artist to "Keep It Simple". Seriously, keep your song as simple and clean as possible while you figure out your arrangement and melodies. Everything comes with time, but you simply must be dedicated and spend some time on your craft every. single. day. (maybe not Sunday's). it's the only way you'll improve. I know it's nothing you haven't heard before haha. Sorry ;)

Additional info:
www.twitch.tv/z8phyr (I live stream from time to time)